About the Asian Flute Set: The bamboo I am using for my flutes is called Bambusa Multiplex. It settled in Japan from southern China and from Korea in 1590. After centuries in Japan it traveled from the warmer south to Yokohama to a plant nursery and then to San Francisco, California by steamer in the mid 1880's. It came by train to Florida and settled in the gardens of early pioneer horticulturalists, and then into the first Florida nurseries that spread the bamboo around the state. This bamboo has traveled great distances and has journeyed for centuries to find it's way to you. Bamboo is the gift that keeps on giving!
In the Asian Flute Set you will find the following flutes:
1) The Oriental Flute: My side-blown Oriental flute is inspired by the Japanese Shakuhachi scale - a deep, rich, enchanting, meditative flute with a melodic, pentatonic scale. In Japan the Shakuhachi was played by former Samurai who could no longer carry their swords by government decree. So they made the flute out of the root stock of bamboo and thus could also use it also for protection. The Oriental Flute is finished "Natural" with a protective, strong binding, approximately 21 to 22 inches long.
2) Deep Kokin: Is a 19 inch long, side blown melodic bamboo flute with a Japanese personality. A few years ago I was commissioned to build the Kokin Flute. At that time, I was told the musical scale captured a portion of a Japanese musical. The project came out so nice, that I brought it to my customers. The Kokin Flute is finished in natural cured bamboo.
3) Medium Kokin: Medium Kokin is just under 14 inches. Same feel as the larger one above but has a brighter voice.
4) Chinese Flute: This 12 1/2 inch side blown flute was born in my shop. It plays real nice in one and a half octaves. The Chinese Flute takes me to a misty, Oriental sunrise, where the music seems to be the soul of ancient China.
Finding a place with great acoustics, or playing with reverb, will take you to this enchanting place.
The inspiration for this flute came when I was asked by a theater professor to create a Chinese sounding flute for a theatrical presentation. The flute I created was so wonderful, I wanted to share it with my customers. The Chinese Flute comes with a protective, strong binding to keep your flute safe.
5) Jiahu Crane Flute: 10 1/2 to 11 1/2 inches long. This is a short end blown, pentatonic flute inspired by an archeological find in Henan China from ancient flutes played 9,000 years ago. In 1999 many newspapers carried the story about Chinese archeologists digging up six flutes found at Jiahu, in the Yellow River valley in Henan Province in central China. The flutes were made from the hollow wing bone of large bird. Also found at Jiahu, were 40 house foundations and 9 pottery kilns; Jiahu is an important site for understanding early Chinese society, after humans left their Stone Age caves and embraced agriculture and village life.
6) CD of my music: Perfectly Mellow.
7) Flute Bag with 5 pockets and adjustable shoulder strap to fit the Asian Flute Set. The flute bags vary in color.
8) Written Lessons for the Oriental, Chinese and Kokin flutes. I also recommend watching the free tutorials on my corresponding flute pages.
Erik the Flutemaker
14701 SW 18th Court
Davie, FL 33325